Do you know that one person in your environment that always gets more done than anyone else? Yes? Then maybe this person knows more lifehacks on how to be productive. With a lot of practice and life hacks, you can improve your organizational skills too.
By having better organizational skills in your life you will have:
- less stress
- more quality time for the fun events in life
- time for your hobbies
- increased productivity
- improved health
Get ready for the five secrets of highly organized people:
1. Start organizing with a calendar
Try to use a calendar, whether it’s an online calendar on your phone or a physical calendar and never forget birthdays/deadlines/assignments or other events again! Because a calendar is more than just a list of dates and events! Nowadays people tend to be on their phone all the time, but it is scientifically proven that a physical calendar is better.
If you use a calendar wisely, then you can:
- plan ahead
- reflect your past events
- get more focused on your life
Tip: To make it more fun using a calendar you can search online for a themed or personally customized (with your name on it) calendar. Also, try to use colorful post-its! For example, green post-its for every fun event and red for every work/school event.
2. Plan your time wisely
Everybody gets 24 hours a day and it’s your decision on how you want to spend it. Time is one of the most important resources that you have in your life – so be sure to think about it and what you wanna do with it. Here are some tips on how to use it to improve your organizational skills:
- Do the most important things first: Always think about what really needs to be done and what can wait one or two days longer.
- Learn to say no: You don’t have to be part of every event or family reunion. If you don’t feel like going to that Saturday night party where all of your friends are going, because you have a lot of work the following week, then don’t do it.
- Plan your week ahead: this could be preparing your breakfast the day before, meal prep or doing all the important calls already on Monday mornings.
- Try to do something while you are waiting for something: this could be listening to a podcast while walking to the supermarket or reading a book while sitting on the train.
- Don’t waste your time on Social Media channels.
Randi Zuckerberg once said: “You only live once. So don’t forget to spend 15 hours a day on the internet, desperately searching for the validation of strangers!”
There are various apps, where you can track your time on different channels. Use it once and if you feel like spending too much time on the internet than try to reduce it.
3. Overcome procrastination
If you have a task on your to-do list then do it now! Don’t do it later, tomorrow or next week. Write that email now, call your best friend now, apply for that job now… you will feel much better if you don’t wait for a sign that tells you to do it.
If this doesn’t work, try to find a trusted mentor, family member or best friend that can help to push you to accomplish tasks earlier.
4. The early bird catches the worm
Get up early every morning and start your day right! One big benefit of getting up early is that you don’t get distracted by anything in the morning. Enjoy the peace and quiet before your busy day starts. Take your time to eat a healthy breakfast and don’t ever hit the snooze button – this only will make things worse. Also, take your time to put on comfortable clothes and pay attention to a positive attitude and you will start self-confident in your new day.
5. Look at your environment
This simply means that you should take a second and look at the people who you are spending your everyday life with. Good questions to ask yourself are:
- Are they motivated for things? Do they have goals?
- Are they complaining about unnecessary stuff all the time?
- Do they think that your ideas are great? Are they supporting your ideas?
You’re the average of the five people you spend the most time with.
Try to find the same positive people with the same passion as you. You will see that the people you are spending your time with will have a huge impact on your life. So choose them wisely and try to push each other and support each other’s goals.
Getting more organized in life doesn’t happen overnight. Everybody needs to find out his or her own way on how to get things done. Try out these simple life hacks and don’t complain or over think a situation! Just do it – and you will see that you will have more time in life for fun events.