Coconut milk and ginger in a classic tomato soup; what a dreamy combination!
But the real secret ingredient in this recipe is the pearl onions – try to find these at your local supermarket if you can. If not, use another small onion variety such as shallots.
Vegetarian, Vegan & Gluten-free!
- 4 regular size cans of tomato sauce
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of regular coconut milk
- ½ – ¾ carton vegetable broth (3-5 cups)
- 8 cloves of fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger (grated)
- 10-15 fresh white pearl onions (whole)
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- dried basil
- herbs de Provence
- 2 tbs olive oil
In a large soup pan, sauté onions in olive oil until brown, about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, salt & pepper, and spices and sauté for an additional minute, until garlic becomes fragrant. Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a low simmer. Add coconut milk and simmer for a few minutes. Add all tomato sauce, and then diced tomatoes, bring to a boil. Add additional spices to taste. Lower heat and let soup reduce and thicken.
Serve hot and enjoy!