Spring: It’s a good time of year to pick up where you left off with your old fitness routine; give the house a refreshing makeover; or end old habits and relationships in order to welcome new and healthy ones for the coming year.
For many of us, it’s a great opportunity to try something we’ve always wanted to do. If you have never experimented with a plant-based or vegan diet, it is never too late! Switching to a plant-based diet can offer incredible health benefits not to mention help with weight loss; it can save the planet and relieve our guilty feelings towards the plight of animals. But don’t take my word for it: check out these trusted resources below for information and inspiration along your plant-powered journey!
- Eating Animals (Book) -This was the book the pushed me over the edge. It transformed me from an apathetic wannabe vegetarian to an almost vegan: one that was unwilling to compromise on my values. The book is a unique and easy-to-read blend of storytelling and hard-fact. Rather than persuading me through guilt or shock (think PETA), it convinced me to go veg based on reasoning and empathy.
- Oh She Glows (Food Blog) – This blog is simply a good one. It’s chocked full of recipes I would have eaten as a non-vegetarian, except all of Angela’s meals are plant-based. Simple and delicious every time – which I’ll admit cannot be said about some other food blogs recipes.
- The Engine 2 Diet (Book) – This extraordinary book comes from an extraordinary man, namely the Fireman/Triathlete/Health & Food Activist Rip Esselstyn. Born to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Rip has long been familiar with the benefits of a plant-based diet. He transformed his team of firefighters to fight life-threatening diseases by radically changing their diets and in the process, saved some of their lives.
- This Rawsome Vegan Life (Food Blog) – The place to go for all raw vegan deserts… period. Emily is famous for her artistic cakes and fabulously healthy sweet temptations. Follow her on Instagram and soon you’ll forget all about your non-vegan cravings.
- Fully Raw Kristina (YouTube Channel) – Kristina’s story is one of overcoming health challenges through a raw food diet. Check out her colorful videos and Instagram channel for instant inspiration and endless energy.
- Forks Over Knives (Documentary) – This one speaks for itself, so give it a watch!
- The China Study (Book/Scientific Study) – The largest scientific study ever conducted linking diet to disease.
- VegNews (Magazine/Website) – This resource is a one-stop shop for everything related to being and going veg. Get the latest news on vegan trends, restaurants, events, and more. It even features jobs listings!
- Whole Foods Market (Healthy Supermarket) – Whole Foods has stores in the USA, Canada and U.K. and if there is one in your area, check it out! The health and gourmet food retailer does not sell products with a list of chemicals and additives that would traditionally be on the shelves in a US supermarket. For that reason and many more – you can trust them.
- Happy Cow (Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurant Guide) – If you travel -ever- you’ll need Happy Cow. The established website helps you locate the best vegan, vegetarian, or simply veg-friendly restaurant cities around the globe. Add your own review to help improve this amazing database of cool places.
- Bonus! Check out the life-changing documentaries Food Inc. and Cowspiracy to educate yourself on the modern day food industry and learn why eating less animal products makes sense from an environmental and ethical perspective.
Did I forget anything? Let us know your favorite plant-based resources below!